Monday 1 January 2018

17th Century Embroidery Stitches

Wishing all my readers a very happy and joyful new year ahead!

One of my first embroidery works that I had posted on this blog was a Strawberry Vine design.




My first works were just from trial and error phase where I didnot even use a good quality cloth. But still the outcome impressed me.

I had done lots of research on embroidery stitches then. That is when few stitches that are not commonly used, caught my attention. These were the 17th century embroidery stitches -the detached  buttonhole stitch, spiral trellis, Ceylon stitch, etc. 


An example of the Elizabethan embroidery is shown above. The various colourful motifs and the stitches used make it a fabulous work and gives it a luxurious look.

Great explanation of these stitches in pdf format can be found on Thistle Threads.

Click on the image below to go to the pdf.



Happy Stitching

1 comment:

I love to read your comments and what you think of this post